So, how can you take care of both? Schedule a couples massage – good for your
heart and your honey! Between Valentine’s Day and National Heart Month, what could be better?
A couples massage offers an hour or more of time that is centered around you and your love, and provides both health and romantic benefits. Because life is tough on relationships, and it is often difficult to find the time, energy and money for couples to do the things they need and want to do to keep their relationships strong. That can lead to stress, arguing, dissatisfaction
and strain on the relationship. One thing is clear: to maintain a strong bond and loving relationship, couples need to spend quality time together.
One way to do accomplish that goal is to schedule a couples massage. Couples massage is a massage session in which two people receive massages at the same time and in the same room, each lying on his or her own massage table receiving a massage from his or her own therapist.
A recent study by the British Psychological Society looked at the effects of couples massage therapy. The study involved 19 couples. The research found that the participants experienced improved well-being overall, while stress levels were decreased and coping abilities were boosted, and that the couples felt closer to each other physically and emotionally.
Of course, both of you will feel more relaxed after the massage and will benefit from the numerous healthful results of massage, but there are more reasons to consider. Benefits of couples massage include:
- Bonding: Massage causes the brain to release endorphins (such as
oxytocin, also known as “the cuddle chemical”), which are hormones that stimulate
positive feelings and promote affection.
- (Re)connection: While counseling can provide valuable insight and increase communication, research shows massage therapy can help couples reconnect and even grow closer.
- Less emotional tension: Strain between the partners, often the result of concerns about jobs, money, children, etc., can be decreased during a massage session. As each person relaxes, tensions dissipate, partners can put their problems into perspective and have more communication regarding these concerns.
- Physical health: In addition to improved emotional health and a closer connection, each person often feels physically healthier after a session, which means more desire and energy for other activities.
- An easy and affordable getaway: Busy schedules and the demands of work and home life can make getting away or going out for an evening nearly impossible, not to mention the costs of a getaway. But almost any couple can find 60 or 90 minutes for a massage. That makes massage one of the easiest ways to escape with your partner for some quality time.
- Personalized time and couple time: One of the best things about a couples massage is the dual focus of the individual and the couple. Each massage is personalized to meet individual needs while the time together helps promote bonding and intimacy.
- Be present and in the moment: Massage has a unique way of helping people focus on the moment, allowing everything else to be put on hold for a period of time. Being fully present and in the moment with your partner means quality time with benefits that last long after the massage has ended.
- Break out of the rut: Getting a couples massage can brighten a relationship in the same way that going to a different restaurant or trying a new activity does. You and your partner will feel closer just for having tried something new together. QCBN
By Mark Love
Mark Love is the Franchisee of Massage Envy Spa – Prescott, located at 120 E. Sheldon St., by the Sprouts grocery store. For more information on the benefits of massage and to schedule an appointment with a massage therapist, visit MassageEnvy.com, call 928-778-ENVY (3689) and follow on Facebook at Facebook.com/MassageEnvyPrescott. Schedule an appointment online – your time, your convenience, your massage.