The holidays have arrived and with them come the joys of family, friends, parties and gifts. The holidays can also bring stress and pain – achy shoulders from carrying bags packed full of gifts; tired feet from walking for hours in and out of stores; and sore backs from loading and unloading and getting in and out of the car.
But there is a simpler way to give loved ones, friends and coworkers gifts they will really appreciate:
Gift cards. Gift cards are more popular than ever this year, and maybe the best gift for almost everyone on your gift-giving list. And the truth is, most of us spend a lot of time and energy trying to pick the perfect gift, which leads to more holiday stress and, often, overspending.
A recent article in Money Magazine highlighted an online survey that showed while most gifts received only have a 25 percent approval rating by the receivers, gift cards have at least double the approval rating! Additionally, the AARP reports that more than 40 percent of people put gift cards at the top of their holiday wish lists this year. This means the odds are good that when giving gift cards, you will be giving a gift that is truly appreciated.
Here are just a few more reasons to purchase gift cards:
- Gift cards don’t weigh much. No need to strain your back and shoulders carrying around numerous bags of presents.
- Gift cards are environmentally friendly. Save the environment from all of the wrapping paper, boxes, packaging and more by buying gift cards that can be reloaded or recycled and are packaged in easily degradable paper.
- Gift cards save time, money, energy and your back. Less to wrap means less time and money spent purchasing gift wrapping and supplies. It also means less strain on your back as there is less need to bend over the table or sit on the floor for hours wrestling with paper, tape and bows.
- Gift cards require a personalized note. Well, you can give a gift card or gift certificate without inserting them into a card, but why waste the opportunity to tell someone how much you love and appreciate them? Personalize the gift by handwriting a note in a card and including the gift card.
- Gift cards can be individualized. Do you know someone who loves to get a massage? Give them a gift card that allows them to choose when and where and what kind of massage they want. Or someone who loves to go to the movies? Give them a gift to a card to their local theater. You get the point. Gift cards are a great way to give each person on your list a personalized gift. And, if you follow up with the same type of gift card on their birthday, you will become their new favorite gift-giver.
- Gift cards can be used at multiple places. Unless you are giving a card from a one-place shop, most gift cards can be used at other locations.
Not sure how to pick the perfect gift card? Here is one suggestion: Give the gift of health and relaxation to your loved ones, friends and co-workers by giving them one or several massage therapy sessions. Why is massage such a great gift? Here are just a few reasons:
- A massage gives the receiver permission to relax. Although we all know the importance of taking care of ourselves, most of us don’t take the time to do it. Sometimes, we don’t feel like we can just “check out” and take time for ourselves. Scheduling a massage gives permission for us to relax while bettering our health.
- A massage gift certificate for massage can be used when convenient. We all have busy lives. A gift certificate for a massage is a great way to give someone a break from the busyness of life – on their schedule.
- A massage allows us to connect with ourselves. A massage therapy session can be a transformative experience – pain is relieved, thoughts are pondered or put aside, relaxation is embraced, a sense of well-being is encouraged.
- Massage is good for just about everyone. From the elderly to the teen, massage promotes health and wellness throughout the body.
- A massage gift card is an appropriate gift for almost all types of relationships. It’s a way of saying you deserve a break, you deserve to relax. You don’t have to know what style of clothing or type of books, music or movies someone likes. A massage is a universal gift of caring.
- A massage is a gift of health. Many of us know people who suffer from various health conditions. Giving a massage gift certificate is a way of saying you care and wish the best for them.
Getting a massage can be the best part of someone’s day. In the words of Doris Day, “The best things to do with the best things in life is to give them away.” (And, while you are buying massage gifts for others, schedule a massage or two for yourself.) QCBN
By Mark Love
Mark Love is the owner of Massage Envy Spa Prescott, located at 120 E. Sheldon St., near Sprouts grocery store. For more information on the benefits of massage and to schedule an appointment with a massage therapist, visit MassageEnvy.com or call 928-778-ENVY (3689).
Mark Love is the co-owner of Massage Envy Spa Flagstaff, located at 1235 S. Plaza Way in the University Plaza Shopping Center next to Safeway. For more information on the benefits of massage and to schedule an appointment with a massage therapist, visit MassageEnvy.com or call 928-526-ENVY (3689).