With such a huge array of choices for home service providers, how does one choose the right company for the job, a star of sorts in the industry that they represent? Of course, it depends on the type of work that needs to be done; however, many of the same important factors will apply.
When searching for the right company:
- Make sure to check the company’s reputation online. Choose sites that you trust such as Yelp, BBB, Home Advisor and even Facebook reviews. Take a look at how they rate compared to other companies within the same field.
- Check for licensing, bonding and insurance. For those who are coming into your home for any type of work, you should make sure that they are qualified and carry the appropriate licensing and insurance for the job.
- Is the company a member of trusted organizations in the community? A good sign of a reputable company is its involvement in the community and involvement with organizations that require a level of professionalism and accountability. Some of these types of organizations may be the local Chamber of Commerce, trade organizations, community groups, local and national charitable organizations, etc.
- Does the company in question have policies, procedures and training for its employees and personnel? If so, you will more likely receive consistent, quality work across the board and be assured that the best practices are being applied to the job.
- How long has the company been in business? Longevity often provides stability and offers a sense professionalism. It allows a company to build a reputation within the community and allows a potential customer the ability to research the history of that company.
- Ask a friend. Referrals are often an excellent source of information when seeking a qualified service provider. You can ask questions about the provider’s experience and depending on the type of service, you may even be able to see the work in question.
- Try to get a written estimate before work begins. Avoid estimates over the phone and promises without real information. Most services done in and for your home will require an in-person walk through. Make sure that the company is thorough in the walk through and seems knowledgeable about the area of expertise.
- Most importantly, you must feel comfortable with those you will be hiring to do work in and around your home. Meet the person who will be your main contact if possible. Make sure that your service provider is a star in his or her field. At Prescott Maid to Order, we offer stars every day for every job. QCBN
By Lucy Leyva
Lucy Leyva is the owner of Prescott Maid to Order.